Saturday 19 August 2017

Leilaka - Excerpt - Strongclaw

Strongclaw


Excerpt from Leilaka:

    Halfway through breakfast a Raven made his appearance on the windowsill.
    "Give me some" he ordered me, following the demand with an indignant squawk.
    "Excuse me?" I asked the bird.
    He hopped onto the bed, cocked his head so he had one beady black eye on me and demanded again "Give me some!"
    I gave him a piece of the bread.
    He pecked it out of my fingers without harming me, swallowing the piece whole.
    "More" he insisted.
    I put the plate down in front of him.
    He ate every last crumb before hopping onto my lap.
    Here he settled, comfortably starting to preen his feathers.
    "I'm Han" I introduced myself.
    "I'm Strongclaw" he replied.
    "How can you understand me?" I wanted to know from the bird.
    "How can you understand me?" he wanted to know back.
    I had no way of knowing.
    Strongclaw hopped back onto the windowsill.
    "Thank you" he squawked before flying off.

Copyright © 2009-2016 H Gibson Chronicles of Han

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. All comments must be approved by the blog author.